November 6, 2017
We heard you.
Earlier this year, Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI) sent an electronic survey to brokers to better understand the experience and the effort involved in doing business with us. This was our first survey of this kind, to set a baseline for an internal scorecard that will keep us accountable to you, our partners, and I wanted to bring you up to date on what we learned, and how we’re addressing your feedback. More than one third of you responded, and we found that:
- 35% said that successfully doing business with us requires a high level of effort on your part
- Many of you want to see improvements in internal processes and technology
- Several of you want a higher level of client/employer support
We sincerely thank you for your candid comments. I wanted to share with you some of the improvements that we have put in place to ensure that our partnerships stay strong and effective.
Internal Processes and Technology
Reporting was mentioned most often in the Internal Processes and Technology category, and we have made great improvements in our reporting capabilities this year with the launch of the Blue Insights analytics tool that provides unprecedented access to employers’ health benefit data. This customizable, self-service reporting tool can be used to track performance metrics, filter enrollment and claims data, and understand financial costs. Using the tool, brokers and employers can:
- Spot trends and drill down to pinpoint root causes
- Make proactive, data-driven decisions
- Create high-impact reports, charts, and interactive analyses
Using Blue Insights data analytics can help our mutual employer clients better understand their specific needs, and feel more confident in making decisions.
In the Client/Employer Support category, we heard you say that the information we provide to you needs to be more accurate and timely, delivered with a more consultative, collaborative approach. We’ve addressed this in several ways, but most importantly through enhanced internal processes that alert brokers about member communications before they go out, minimizing disruptions and ensuring that you are the first to know about issues that may impact our mutual clients. These alerts are happening through:
- Personal contacts with members of your BCBSRI account team
- Broker Blast emails that convey breaking news
- Regular Broker Update enewsletters that include regulatory and legislative news, and provide insights about our industry, products and services
Using this survey as a baseline, we plan to use future surveys to get your regular feedback. This is essential to ensure continuous improvement with the goal of making it easier for you to do business with us. We’ll continue to ask for your input in a variety of ways, and hope that you feel comfortable being candid with us – telling us what we’re doing well and not so well – with an eye to strengthening our partnerships for the benefit of our mutual clients. Again, many thanks for your responses and comments, and I’m looking forward to hearing more from you.
All the best,