December 7, 2017
Getting serious about choosing a PCP
As part of the transition towards consumer-driven care, we’re requiring that members and their dependents in BlueCHiP plans select and identify their PCP, as well as requiring them to get referrals from their PCP for certain tests and specialist visits. As you know, this is a change, especially for members new to BlueCHiP and the New England regional plans we now offer. As our business partners, you’re integral in helping us ensure the best experience for client and their employees.
Fortunately, it’s easier than ever to get this done. Every touchpoint and channel for PCP selection has been improved with an emphasis on bringing consistent messaging and experiences to all.
Simple, revised selection forms that are less work for both the individual and the employer, make it easy to track down PCP info, and are accompanied by the “Find a Doctor” web tool instructions. So, if you click through the links below, you can see how it looks.
For Current Members:
- Submit a PCP Selection Form for all members along with the Group Activity Report. We will process this form for our members and issue ID cards with PCP selection information included.
For New Members:
- If the group is new to BCBSRI, the PCP selection must be made on our revised Small Group Member Application or Large Group Member Application. These revised applications are required for enrollment in BlueCHiP, BlueCHiP Advance products as well as all New England Health Plans.
When members haven’t yet chosen a PCP
We’re providing the following options for PCP selection:
- An updated welcome kit includes updated print material, new ID cards, and mailing logic, all of which emphasize PCP selection.
- Sleek self-service mobile access via Your Blue Touch for easy PCP-selection. Search for “Your Blue Touch RI” on the App Store® or Google PlayTM*.
- Direct link to the BCBSRI.com web portal
- New proactive outreach with emails and text messages to members that have not selected a PCP and have opted into these communication channels. Encouraging employees to sign up for "Your Blue Wire" and provide their email address will help us reach these members more easily. Here’s a quick look at the text outreach on mobile:
There is nothing more vital than PCP selection to ensure the success of a member’s ability to use their BlueCHiP product effectively and efficiently. To facilitate a smooth transition for your clients and their employees—and to guarantee they maintain the highest level of coverage—it is important you make them aware of this requirement. If they don’t have a PCP, or don’t let us know who their PCP is, there’s a risk of reduction in benefits.
*Standard mobile phone carrier and data usage charges apply. The downloading and use of the Your Blue Touch RI mobile app is subject to the terms and conditions of the app and the online stores from which it is downloaded. Apple, the Apple logo and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Android and Google Play are trademarks of Google Inc.